When businesses need to deliver their products to abroad-based customers, they need to team up with a reliable logistics company. A lot goes into getting goods to reach their destination, so much more than you know. For this reason platforms like Shiply exists to demystify the cumbersome process and provide a load board where you can search through hundreds of jobs favoring truck drivers, shipping companies, and people requiring shipping services.
If you’re one of those businesses working with an international freight forwarder, you have to know that there are industry no-no’s you have to avoid. Read on to find out seven of the most common global shipping mistakes.
- Packaging your parcels improperly. As it will take a longer time to ship your products to overseas-based customers compared to local clients, you have to be extra meticulous about your packaging. Also, don’t forget to check with your international freight forwarder and ask about their rules about packaging.
- Estimating weight and size inaccurately. Many businesses make the mistake of simply using their clients’ data for calculating costs — which tend to be generally lower than what global shipping companies charge. When you’re hiring the services of an international freight forwarder, take note of their rates and specifications for the weight and size of your parcels.
- Miscalculating the timing. As in any aspect of any business, timing is crucial. Especially if you’re shopping abroad, failing to estimate shipping durations as well as cutoff times can have a huge negative impact on your supply chain — leaving your customers unsatisfied with your service.
- Foregoing to research about customs regulations. One of the most important things you need to know about working with a freight forwarding service is this: Customs regulations vary from country to country. For you to be able to abide by the rules imposed on the destination country of your products, proper research is needed.
- Not getting insurance. Nothing is 100% guaranteed especially in the field of logistics where there’s a lot of risks — from accidents to theft to natural disasters. Even if you’re cost-cutting, you still have to be strategic and get your parcels insured. Getting insurance is particularly needed for high-value products.
- Evading road transits. Though road transportation is considered to be the slowest mode of transportation, it doesn’t mean that should be completely avoided. When working with a global freight forwarder, you have to take note that all modes of transportation should be considered and be perceived as complementary to one another.
- Relying completely on your freight forwarder’s knowledge. By knowing something about the logistics industry, it will be more strategic and effective for you to discuss your needs and choose freight companies in Sydney. It will also allow you to maximize their services while ensuring that your decisions and partnerships are cost-effective and will be able to boost your business’ profitability.
For your trusted international freight forwarder in Australia, go for https://tgl.co/.